Storium is a play-by-post collaborative writing platform which includes some game mechanics to support the direction of the story or the character’s decision-making process.
I love it and want to share it with more people, especially with writers who roleplay and roleplayers who write. Getting onboard can be a learning curve, and I want to make it easy for you to get a taste of what it’s all about.
If you haven’t signed up yet, you can poke around via my profile or the recently active games page to see what’s going on.
- Sign up for an account.
- Go through the Player Tutorial.
- Fill in your Profile.
- Change your Email and Notification Preferences. Daily Digest is nice and tidy.
- Add yourself to the Player Finder. Include your Pitch as well.
- Check out the list of Beginner Games or Open Games for something to join.
- Introduce yourself on the forum, or join the Slack chat.
Storium Status Quo
The first thing you need to know about Storium is that it doesn’t move very quickly. If you get into a game and start within the first week, that’s pretty fast. But often, there is a long wait and sometimes there isn’t much communication from the narrator/host. Games take a while to set up and cast, so patience is necessary.
If you think you might forget, make sure your email preferences are configured to help you check back in.
While you’re waiting, introduce yourself on the forum, or join the Slack chat.
For an introduction to Storium, check out my podcast episodes breaking down how the site works:
- gette into it: Storium (Part 1)
- gette into it: Storium (Part 2)
I was on the Storium Arc team of 2020-2021. Here are the podcast episodes I’ve made:
- Episode 62! Storium AI
- Arc-eology: .red fred
- Episode 63! Joining
- Episode 64! Pitching
- Episode 65! Made The Cut
- Arc-eology: Who’s Really In Charge
- Episode 66! Pandemic Play (Part 1)
- Episode 67! Pandemic Play (Part 2)
- Episode 68! Rules as Written
- Episode 69! In Space: Planetfall
- Episode 70! Storium with Disabilities
Here’s a highlight reel from most of the episodes above (contain game spoilers):
Others have written about Storium in more detail than I will cover on this page. Have fun exploring!
- Gaming Creatively: Storium Basics
- Gaming Creatively: Storium Theory
Here’s a wonderful add-on for your Firefox or Chrome browser that will let you customise various aspects of your Storium experience:
- Storium Improver by Ssieth
(Last updated: 23 March 2023)